Sunday, September 21, 2008

We are blessed

Today we went to Chusok (Korean Thanksgiving for those non Korean families out there). It was not just a typical Chusok event, it was Dillon's 25th year anniversary for placing Korean born children, so it was extra special. They had both dance and tae kwan do performances, which were amazing. Unfortunately we didn't get to see much since keeping R and J quiet and still proved to be very difficult and much to our relief the temple had a very large playground. When it was time to eat, the boys were finally ready to come in. The kids ate pasta and sub sandwiches, and we ate bulgogi, kimchi, mandu and a few other things. Let me tell you, I ATE two whole plates. Loved it- so delicious.
Once again the staff at Dillon really went above and beyond to create a beautiful afternoon. In addition to the performances and the fabulous food, we were given the chance to meet some very honored guests from Korea. Most importantly we met (actually she recognized us from a meeting back in April and therefore reintroduced herself to us) Dr. Kim- the President of ESWS. Dr. Kim is the youngest daughter of Dr. Kim, who founded ESWS back in the early 70's. She has only been in this postion for a year and was preceded by her brother. After chatting with her for a moment, we introduced ourselves to Mrs. Cho. Mrs. Cho runs one of the branch offices in Seoul (there are multiple branch offices and babies can be intaken at any one before going on to ESWS Hospital). Well, our "little" R was intaken at this branch so we wanted her to meet him. While we chatted, Mrs. Cho asked what he likes to play with, his personality etc... She was writing it all down in case she gets a chance to contact birthmother. We let her know (through the help of a translater) if she were to contact R's birthmother, we would love to have contact (ie. write letters back and forth to his birthmother). This is my greatest wish. This women gave me the most precious thing in the world to her and I just want to make sure she knows how loved he is and how grateful we are and that we someday hope to meet. Communication such as this is not common, but it does happen and I can only hope we are given the opportunity. While meeting with Mrs. Cho, another guest was taking our pictures. We found out this guest is the photographer who takes the referral pictures of each of the babies who come in to ESWS. Amazing to think this woman not only took a picture of my kids today, but took a picture of each of them 5 years, 3 years and 2 years ago before we even knew them.
Everyday I look at my children and just see E, R, or J. Often I forget they are adopted, especially when I brag that E sure didn't get mine or Daddy's coordination, or that R is sooooooo much like his Daddy it is scary, or that little Mr. J got Mommy and Papa's temper. When we go to these events, I am so much more aware of their adoption and their "Koreaness". In my opinion being aware is a good thing. It reminds me how indredibly lucky we are to be a family and to "have found each other". I try to make it clear to those at both Dillon and those at ESWS, but I know I must fall short. Everyone of those people took a leap of faith and made the decision to send a tiny little baby halfway around the world and trust us to take care of him/her. This is amazing. The entire process is amazing but most of all, I am amazed at how blessed our family is.
Thank you Dillon Southwest and Eastern Social Welfare Society for the wonderful work you do. We will be forever grateful.

No comments: